Food and Country (2023) Review: A Culinary Journey You Can't Miss!

Okay, honestly, I’m not someone who gets easily captivated by documentaries. Usually, I prefer watching action or drama films that can get my heart racing. But there’s something about Food and Country (2023) that immediately caught my attention. Maybe it’s because I’m a big fan of food and always curious about how food and culture are intertwined.

Before I go any further, for those of you who haven’t watched it yet, I highly recommend watching the full movie Here, because what I’m sharing is just a small part of what you can truly experience while watching. This film really touches the heart in unexpected ways, and trust me, you don't want to miss it!

Why Was I Drawn to Food and Country?

Before watching, I thought, "Ah, this is probably just another documentary about food focusing on farmers or environmental issues." But as soon as the film started, I knew I was completely wrong. This film is more than just an ordinary food documentary; it delves deep into the human connection with food and how our culture is shaped by what we eat.

One thing that hooked me was how the film took a personal approach. The filmmakers here really convey the story from the perspective of people who live off the land, those who struggle to maintain cultural identity through food. And honestly, I couldn’t help but feel moved when they talked about how globalization and big industries are changing the way we view and produce food. Growing up in an urban environment, I often feel disconnected from the origins of my food, and this film made me rethink that.

Personal Anecdote: Valuable Lessons About Food and Culture

I remember a moment when I visited my grandmother's village as a child, where all the food was natural and homegrown. I never appreciated it until I grew up and realized how much of the food we consume today is no longer “authentic.” Watching Food and Country brought back those memories, and I began to think, if only we could all appreciate the origins of our food, perhaps we could understand our culture more deeply.

Maybe that’s why this film felt so personal to me. It feels like a call to be more aware, not just of what we eat but also of who produces the food and how the process affects our culture. It reminded me of when I tried to grow my own vegetables at home — though I totally failed, haha! But from that experience, I learned how hard it is to be a farmer and how every bite of food we eat is the result of many hardworking hands.

Frustrating Moments You Might Encounter

There’s one moment in the film that truly frustrated me, and it was when one of the farmers talked about how they had to fight against large corporations trying to take over their land. I can’t imagine what it feels like to live with that kind of uncertainty. Imagine dedicating your life to growing food only to see everything you’ve built threatened by big corporations. It feels like fighting a giant, and it made me wonder: how can we help those who are struggling to preserve this traditional way of life?

What makes it more frustrating is the fact that many of us aren’t aware of this. We just buy food at the supermarket without knowing the story behind it. So, for those of you interested in this topic, I really encourage you to watch the full movie here, because this is an opportunity to understand the reality that’s often hidden behind the scenes.

What Can We Learn from Food and Country?

There are a few lessons I learned after watching Food and Country. First, food isn’t just about taste or feeling full, but also about identity and culture. Every dish we eat, whether it’s pizza, rice, or vegetables, has a long history that we often forget. Second, the importance of supporting local farmers. Although I live in the city and rarely meet farmers, I realized that by buying local products, I can help preserve the traditions that exist.

This film also teaches us to be more mindful about where our food comes from. It made me think about shopping more often at local markets and supporting local farms, even though it might be a bit more expensive. But, aren’t we investing in our own health and the sustainability of the planet?

The Mistakes I Made (and Lessons Learned)

Okay, I’ll admit, I used to not care at all about where my food came from. I thought, as long as it’s healthy and tasty, there’s no problem. But after watching Food and Country, I felt guilty for being a "blind" consumer. I once thought that shopping at the supermarket was the most practical and cheapest option, but I forgot to consider the long-term impact — both on small farmers and the environment.

So, the lesson I took from this film is to be more mindful when choosing food. We can start with small things, like checking food labels and finding out if the products were sustainably produced. This might seem trivial, but small changes can bring big impacts.

If you, like me, are interested in learning more about the relationship between food, culture, and people, then Food and Country is a must-watch. You can watch the full movie here and take some time to reflect on the message it conveys. I guarantee, after watching, you’ll have a new perspective on the food you consume every day.

So, what are you waiting for? Get your snacks ready (of course, healthy and local!), and enjoy a viewing experience that will make you rethink every bite of food you eat.